Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Casual Time-City Life



This previous weekend I took a trip to New York city with the university's Art bus. I go to the city with plans. There are special things that I always want and "need" to do. Accompanying me for a short time was my friend Angela. The angel that she is tickles my insides with sarcastic humor. We find ourselves playing roles of characters that we make up as we go along. My favorite game to play with her is copy-cat. She does it better than I.



Angela and I were together for the ride to the city, then we hung out in Chelsea. Going through the galleries we expressed our views on the art works. She so easily criticizes what she dislikes with articulate speech. Whispering she says, "I find this incredibly boring. I'm going to wait outside. You can look around if you like, but I can't stand it in here." I feel so inexperienced in criticizing modern art, or abstract expressionism. My only comebacks is the confession that I'm not sure how to criticize it, and I find my judgements being reserved to comments like, "I'm not sure. It's not really my thing." Angela on the other hand seems to enjoy the more ridiculous art pieces that appear to be more of an obscene joke rather than a painting. I expressed to her my sincerity to understand art within the context that it is created for rather than to say, "that's total crap."



My objectives for the city were completely touristy. I had plans to go to the galleries. Following that, I wanted to take pictures of the buildings (as I always do). I had plans to photograph people, and once I made my planned stops I was to head to the met. It was a simple schedule, with a lot of walking. A year and a half ago I ate at this pizza place that had the best EVER slices of pizza. I found it again (it was on my to-do list). I had two slices of a mushroom, tomato and pesto, topping. It was so yummy and worth the $7.50. I met my friend Michael at the location and we continued on to the park.



A special place that I had to stop was at the John Lennon memorial in Central Park. Inside the entrance to the Strawberry fields is a tile mosaic with the single word that summarizes the work of the man, "Imagine." People were singing songs and watching as others visited the site. Near the mosaic was a man with food laid out for people to eat. The location seems to have an ongoing service that honors this elegant philosophy.




Eventually, Michael and I made it to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I had an assignment to see the Giorgio Morandi exhibit. Like my prof said, it wasn't anything spectacular, but I saw as he requested. Michael and I then left the museum and stopped at a small cafe to get some juice. We said our goodbye and I was on the bus heading back to Kutztown. I continued to take a few snapshot while in motion of the city lights. THIS HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE, but I didn't care. I just wanted to do it so I did. There will be more blogs with more photos from the city. I took over 200. These are the more casual images while the others had a stronger objective.

































































No comments: